Tuesday, February 5, 2013

All purpose dust extractor

All purpose dust extractors, from prototypes to (for now) the finished product
 Modified vacuum hose attachment with gorillapod section for adjustable positioning
 Bent sheet metal attached to aluminum dryer vent tubing. The flexile tubing is a big improvement but the shape of the sheet metal let too many sparks bounce out of suction range
 Similar design but made the end more enclosed. This worked well but had the fatal drawback of looking like a giant wonky robot penis when not in use.
 Going in a different direction I thought this would be good for when you need to grind something wide without having to reposition your dust extraction. but the far end was too distant and suction was poor
Alas, the simplest thing is often the best. I simply use the unshrouded duct pipe. It is attached to a wooden base that is screwed into my worktable, but can be easily moved if needed. the mouth is about 4in. in diameter and the sparks wood chips or dust simply go straight down the gullet without any end attachments to slow down suction airflow.


I took a few pictures while i was building it and it might help if you are trying to build your own
     I started with a simple square block probably cut from a 2x6 and routed a 4" circle into it to receive the duct pipe. I hollowed out a small channel to receive the pipe that goes to the vacuum. I split that pipe to make it fit into the cavity and then i nailed it in. Then I hot glued the duct pipe in. Also used hot glue to fill any gaps that might leak air. I added some old vacuum tube to the pipe to make it fit snug with my vacuum attachment and  voila!

A video showing the difference between drilling ino wood with and without a dust extractor
Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment