Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Table saw safeties

So a while back, while I was trying to cut this piece of wood

I did this to my finger
I got a little more safety conscious after that. I had been using a table saw with no rear blade guard(riving knife?) and no over the top guard, which are now compulsory inclusions for any new table saws. But being a cheap ass I wanted to make a few of them myself
This prevents touching the blade from the top and also cuts down on dust flung at your face
it swung to the side to allow for wood removal. I used a piece of polycarbonate and melted a line down the front back and sides so they would droop down for better coverage




I then set about creating something that would hold the wood to the rip fence so your hands dont have to get anywhere near the blade

It worked pretty well but the sprung rods were wooden and the cylinder they backed in and out of was also wood and it would get stuck sometimes

Add caption
My newer prototype involves a rollerblade wheel and a spring inside a metal cylinder. the travel is much smoother and gets caught less. I havent seen anything like this yet and it is terrifically handy for ripping stock. Feel free to steal the idea but give me some credit or give me a job. you wouldnt regret it

This is a video of it in action, and youre welcome for the baby making music in the back ground

No comments:

Post a Comment